Friday, October 17, 2014

A Warm Bed and a Hot Shower

Since we first became aware of the radical Muslim army called ISIS, and the obscene destruction of human life that they have become known for, I have joined many Christians around the world to pray for Christians, and other non-Muslims who have become their victims. The Islamic State does nothing to hide its targeting of all non-Muslims. In fact, from their videotaped be-headings to their bombing of religious sites, ISIS fighters have publicly displayed their gruesome acts. Mark Arabo, national spokesman for "Ending Genocide in Iraq," spoke with Sean Hannity this week about the Christian crisis in Iraq. Arabo claims hundreds of Christians are dying every day and 40,000 have been killed this year. We've all read accounts of people having to flee their homes with just what they can carry. Many were trapped on a mountain top for weeks without food, water, shelter, or other life necessities

I find myself trying to pray, but not having enough words to describe how badly I feel about what is going on. I've caught myself thinking, "they are actually better off because they are in God's presence, in the place that has been prepared for them." That is just a cop-out for my puny attempts to pray effectively for these precious members of the body of Christ. I cannot imagine the horror of parents watching their children being beheaded in front of them, because the children will not renounce Christ and agree to become Muslims. I have always thought that I would do anything I possibly could, including giving my life, to protect my wife, and my children. For Christians in Iraq, their "thinking" has become reality.

The other night as I lay in my comfortable, warm bed, I was again praying for these people. Knowing full well that survivors who have fled are living in miserable conditions. Here I was praying for them from the comfort of my bed. The next morning, again they were on my mind as my shower water warmed up to a comfortable temperature and I enjoyed a hot shower before heading off to my office. I feel guilty for the contentedness I feel right now. God's blessing is very real and evident to me. And yet these horrible things are happening to people that I love, but don't know. I love them because we are loved immeasurable by the God of the universe. We are the family of the only true God and creator of all. If there is an overarching idea here, it must be that regardless of our standing in Christ, life is not fair. Why should I enjoy my warm bed at night, and a hot shower in the morning, while thousands of Christians are fleeing for their lives and living in the poorest of conditions? These are hard questions, without good answers. I am just so thankful that I have never had to endure this kind of cruel and hideous treatment. One day it won't matter, Christians that have lived throughout the ages will surround the throne of God and proclaim Him as I AM. In the meantime, I'll keep praying for Christians in Iraq, and other parts of the world, who are running for their lives. God, please give me good words to pray.

No comments: